Sustainability is a strong driver and enabler of Gränges’ long-term competitiveness and value creation. In 2020 Gränges continued to execute on its ambitious sustainability framework and targets and good progress was achieved for many of the company’s sustainability priorities. Highlights include a significant reduction in the company’s total carbon emissions, an increased share of sourced recycled aluminium and renewable energy as well as a very high participation rate in the group-wide Code of Conduct and anti-corruption trainings. Actions to speed up the development of a broader and more sustainable customer offering were also taken, and Gränges’ operations in Finspång will going forward start to offer customers third-party verified product carbon footprint certificates.
Key achievements 2020
- Reduced the total carbon emissions intensity by 8 percent versus 2019 and 18 per cent versus baseline 2017 driven mainly by expanded sourcing of recycled aluminium as well as of low-carbon primary aluminium.
- Increased the share of sourced recycled aluminium to 22.5 per cent (19.8) of total sourced metal inputs.
- Increased the share of renewable energy to 13 per cent (8) driven by an increased share of renewable electricity in the mix.
- 100 per cent training participation in the two group-wide online trainings in the Code of Conduct and in anti-corruption.
- Achieved a provisional certification against Aluminium Stewardship Initiative’s (ASI) Performance Standard for the Finspång production facility.
- Increased the share of products with third-party verified sustainability information available to 19 per cent (–). Gränges’ operations in Finspång implemented a life-cycle and carbon footprint assessment tool which enables declarations of environmental impacts on a product level, starting with the carbon footprint. Gränges will start to offer customers third-party verified product carbon footprint certificates.
“The progress on our sustainability priorities over the last years demonstrates the strength of our structured way of working when integrating sustainability aspects across our operations and value chain. I’m very satisfied that we have intensified the development of a broader and more sustainable offering, as our customers are increasingly recognizing the importance of using sustainable materials. Having verified sustainability information available on a product level enables customers to evaluate the climate impact along their value chain and increase their sustainability performance based on a fact-based approach. We continuously develop sustainable offerings that create tangible business and sustainability benefits and value for our customers”, says Gränges’ CEO Johan Menckel.
A full overview of Gränges’ 2025 sustainability targets can be found on the company’s website: www.granges.com/sustainability/framework-and-targets/.
Gränges’ annual and sustainability report for 2020 is from today available on the company’s website: www.granges.com/investors/reports-and-presentations/.
For further information, please contact:
Sofia Hedevåg, SVP Sustainability
firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: +46 733 03 79 79
Johan Dufvenmark, VP Group Treasury & Investor Relations
email@example.com, tel: +46 705 97 43 75
Gränges is a leading global supplier of rolled aluminium products for heat exchanger applications, speciality packaging and niche markets. In materials for brazed heat exchangers Gränges is the global leader with a market share of approximately 20 per cent. The company develops, produces and markets advanced materials that enhance efficiency in the customers’ manufacturing process and the performance of the final products. The company’s geographical markets are Europe, Asia and the Americas with production facilities in all three regions and a total annual capacity of 560,000 metric tonnes. Gränges has 2,400 employees and net sales of SEK 13.5 billion. The share is listed on Nasdaq Stockholm. More information on Gränges is available at www.granges.com.