Climate strategy

Gränges is committed to combatting climate change and reducing the climate impact from its business and along the value chain. Managing the climate topic therefore runs through the company’s sustainability framework and value chain.

Taking a value chain perspective

Gränges works actively to take product stewardship and reduce environmental impact along the value chain, taking a life-cycle perspective. As illustrated below, Gränges has identified five main priorities to reduce the company’s climate impact from a life-cycle perspective: 1) Increase sourcing of recycled aluminium; 2) Expand sourcing of primary aluminium produced with renewable energy; 3) Increase energy efficiency in own operations; 4) Increase sourcing and use of renewable energy in own operations; 5) Incorporate sustainability into product development and customer collaboration. Priorities 1), 2) and 4) are managed as part of Responsible and sustainable sourcing, priority 3) as part of Sustainable operations and priority 5) is managed as part of Sustainable product offerings.

Reducing the carbon footprint

In 2019, Gränges reduced its total greenhouse gas emissions by 14 per cent to 3,910 ktonnes CO2e (4,520). Carbon emissions from purchased materials and services, which accounted for 93 per cent (94) of the total emissions, were reduced by 14 per cent, mainly driven by a higher share of sourced recycled aluminium. The corresponding carbon intensity decreased by 7 percent versus 2018 and 12 per cent versus the baseline 2017. Carbon emissions from own operations and purchased energy, which accounted for 7 per cent (6) of Gränges’ total carbon footprint, were reduced by 1 per cent to 282.6 ktonnes CO2e (284.6). The corresponding carbon intensity increased by 8 per cent versus 2018 and 1 per cent versus baseline 2017. This was driven by higher energy intensity which was mainly a result of lower production volumes. Gränges aims to take actions towards the 2025 reduction target.

Expanding the scope

Gränges follows the Greenhouse Gas Protocol (GHG Protocol) guidelines to calculate its climate impact, from bauxite extraction to delivery of Gränges’ products to customers. So far, the product use and end-of-life phases have been excluded due to a lack of relevant data. Gränges will assess adding this part to its scope for calculations, to support customers to reduce climate impacts along the value chain.